So, without further adieu, here are steps for making a template:
To create a template you will need a sheet of paper that will allow light to show through and is large enough to cover the opening (we recommend craft or butcher paper).
- Tape the paper over the window opening.
- Outline the opening of the window with a well defined line.
- Remove the paper from the window opening and cut the template out. There should be no rough or jagged edges.
- Place the template back into the opening to verify it is the correct size. The template should also match your measurements. (The arch will be made 1/4” smaller for an inside mount to allow for installation clearance)
- Mark the template to indicate the top of the window and which side of the arch faces out into the room.
- Roll the template, place in mailing tube and mail it, along with your completed order form, to your manufacturer.
It is also a great idea to make and keep a second copy for yourself from the first as we have seen more than one template lost in the busy shuffle of a manufacturer's shop. Within 2-4 weeks, you should be able to enjoy your arch shaped wood blind which matches the other wood blinds on your standard "right angle" windows.
Of course, we would love to help you with your wood or faux wood blind project. Also, for a rough idea of what your project might cost, check out our online wood and faux wood blind calculator.